So yesterday was Ms. Zoey's surgery. The whole surgery went great - you literally wouldn't even be able to tell that she had surgery - but the events leading up to the surgery weren't so lovely. Zoey's last bottle had to be by 2:00AM and she wasn't allowed to have water after 6:45AM. The night before the surgery, Joe and I kept her up for as long as possible which turned out to be around 11PM. Joe set an alarm for 1:00AM so we could wake up and feed her the last dreaded bottle. I gave her an 8 oz. with a few scoops of cereal, hoping to hold her over until her appointment which was at 10:45AM. She woke up at 5:00AM wanting another bottle and when I offered her water, she wanted nothing to do with it. She finally calmed down and we got ready to go to Children's. We had to be there at 8:45AM so we left at 6:30AM because we were afraid we might get lost. We did miss one of our turns, but we still made it to the hospital with plently of time. Once we got there, it seemed like everything was moving along fast and we were pleased. They called us back, had us fill out paperwork and then a few minutes later we were in the OR getting Zoey's vitals taken and dressed her in a little operating gown. She was such a big girl. She had to get blood drawn from her foot and she didn't even cry. I was so proud of her. They sat us in the OR Waiting Room and we were told that it shouldn't be long... well, the "shouldn't be long" turned into 2 hours and 20 minutes. I was beyond mad. Zoey was really good until about 11:30 and I guess she then realized she hadn't eaten all day and was also sleepy. It took me forever to get her to take a nap and she was pissed. I felt horrible for her and no one had told us what was going on. We were literally watching kids come sit in the OR Waiting Room, then leave, more kids come in and then leave. It was like we were being skipped. Joe asked what was happening and the lady at the front desk said the room that we were using had a surgery that ran over so it made our surgery a little late. Since, Zoey was sleeping I wasn't to annoyed BUT then she woke up. She was not happy what-so-ever and I felt helpless. A nurse finally came to us and told us that they weren't able to get a hold of our doctor and that was the real hold up. It made me so mad that they had lied the first time! I was beyond furious. I told Joe that we needed just to leave because I wasn't going to make Zoey starve anymore. Joe went and talked to the front desk people again and all they could say was he should be there shortly - which wasn't good enough for me. I finally went out there and told them I was done, Zoey was hungry, she hadn't eaten all day and I wanted to leave. They could tell I was mad and took us to a "private" room. A nurse came in and calmed me down a bit. She asked me if she could call the doctor one more time before I left. I agreed - but Zoey was already out of her gown. I was ready to get her dress and feed my baby! The nurse left and came back a few minutes later to tell us that the doctor should be there in two minutes. I told her that he had two minutes and then I was leaving! He showed up seconds later and apologized. I guess one of his other patients at another hospital's surgery ran late which made him late to Zoey's appointment. I was still upset about the whole thing, but I know he can't rush a patient's surgery just to make it to another one. They took Zoey back to the operating room and it took about 45 minutes. She has about an inch long cut on her neck. They put two stitches on the inside and then glued up the outside. She has to have a follow up appointment in three weeks, but she seems totally fine. We were going to take her to Target yesterday after her surgery and let her pick out a toy, but she fell asleep on the way home so we didn't want to wake her up. I am going to go pick out something today for her though. She was such a big girl - she deserves something great!
It was quite sad though when they called us back to recovery. For some reason, I figured she was already awake, but she wasn't. It was so sad to see all the little wires going to her that monitored her. Broke my heart. I don't see how parents that have sick children deal with that type of stuff on a regular basis. I feel truly blessed that Zoey is a healthy baby and didn't have any major problems. When she finally woke up, she was scared, but as soon as I held her she was fine. She was amazed with this thing on her thumb that was monitoring her because it made her thumb light up red. She kept looking at it then would hold it up for Joe and I to see. She had to drink this stuff and hold it down for 15 minutes before we were able to go which she did fine! The nurse then came in and removed everything off of her. When they took the IV out of her foot all Zoey did was let out this noise which sounded like, "OWWWWWW." Every one laughed. It was so funny... but she didn't even cry. She is a tough little cookie! Just like her momma! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aw Ashley, I"m so glad Zoey did good!!!! I would of been PISSED too if I had to of waited 2 hours!!!! I do love Children's though!!! When Harley had her tubes put in, she screamed bloody murder until they brought Josh and me back to the recovery room. (But this was done at Southern Maryland Hospital) When Derek had to have the peanut removed from his throat, they sedated him before he left us, then they brought us back to his bed before they woke him. I'll never take my kids anywhere else for surgeries other than Childrens. I'm glad you and Joe made out good too!!! I know it was tramatizing for you both as well as Zoey but the good thing is, she's too young to ever remember going w/out a bottle for a couple hours!!!! :-)
ReplyDelete