CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Kayla Kiley.

On Saturday, October 5, 2013, Kayla Kiley earned her wings and went to Heaven.  The heartbreak that I felt when I found out was completely unbearable, it still is.  There is this stinging inside, and so many questions. Why do children get cancer?  Why is cancer even a thing?  Why did she get cancer; not once, but four times?  Why?  Why?  Why? 

I met Kayla when she was 3 years old.  She lived behind us when my mom had her house in Pinefield.  My niece, Brooklen, was a year younger than her and they started playing with each other through the fence.  Soon, after that – one of us were lifting one the kids over the fence so they could actually play together.  By the time they were 7 and 6, it was a pain in the behind to get them over that fence!  Karen finally put up a new privacy fence, but she made a gate between my mom’s yard and her’s – very smart, probably saved our backs!  I know that the people that live in those two houses now are probably seriously wondering why it is there.  They have no idea how many memories their backyards hold, how many good times, how many friendships were formed, and how amazing our family thought that gate was.     

I remember trying to sleep on the couch and all of a sudden I would hear Kayla’s little voice start screaming, “Brooklen, Brooklen, Brooklen.”  Let me tell you, that little voice would not stop until you opened the back door to tell her Brooklen would be right out or Brooklen wasn’t there.  She was persistent.  Once they got to playing, I was blessed to listen to their ramblings, mostly about nothing while they played.  I remember that Kayla’s grandmother, Karen, bought a pool one year (one of the ones you get from Wal-Mart).  The kids were so excited.  They piled in that pool and were having a blast splashing around.  All of sudden, I heard screams and came running out of my moms to find the pool collapsed on one side, water gushing out, and the kids floating in the yard instead of the pool.  The kids thought that it was awesome and wanted to set it up to have the side collapse again; however, my mom and Kayla’s mom (Kathy) weren’t as amused. 

I remember when she was diagnosed with cancer the first time, we were all in shock, we all cried.  I remember we all wrote letters to Locks of Love to ensure Kayla got a wig because she didn’t want to be without hair.  Once her hair did fall out, she decided the wig was a pain and made her head itch, so I don’t even think she wore it but maybe three times.  ;-)  I remember Kathy telling us how she was cancer free, she had beaten it.  We all rejoiced.  I also remember Kathy telling us that is came back, we all cried.  But then there was rejoicing once more because Kayla beat it again after the doctor’s said she wouldn’t. 

Eventually everybody moved.  People moved on with their lives, but we all kept in contact through social media networks.  So I remember specifically, when Kathy announced for the third time that Kayla had cancer again and I remember crying.  It just didn’t seem fair. 

I have had a picture of Brooklen and Kayla on my wall forever.  It was prior to the cancer days so they both are really tiny – I would guess 5 and 4.  I know that I have often been asked why I never took it down or updated it at least, but I always loved it.  They both look so happy and now with everything that happened, I am happy that I never took it down – I am happy I left my outdated picture hanging on my walls for all these years. 

I really don’t understand why Kayla was picked to have this sort of stress in her life; she was never really able to live the “normal” child life.  But, I will tell you this – she smiled, she laughed, she loved, she inspired.  She accomplished more in the 14 years she was here then most people do their whole lives.  She was truly a hero. 

The last couple of days have been hard for me, and I know the upcoming weekend is going to be harder.  It was such an honor to know such an amazing little girl and it is going to be hard to say our final goodbyes.  I will promise this though – I will never stop fighting for Kayla.  There will be a cure, one day. 

Please keep Kayla family and friends in your prayers.  Pray for God to give them strength, give them hop, give them faith, and give them courage.


RIP Kayla Kiley, until we meet again…        


No comments:

Post a Comment